Skip to main content
Registrarial Services banner

Letters of Permission - Taking a Course at Another University

If you wish to enrol at another university (host) and have credits completed there transferred toward your York degree, you must first be granted a Letter of Permission (LOP) by the Registrarís Office. While you are pursuing your York degree, transfer credit will not be granted for work completed at another university without the LOP. Please read these pages carefully before submitting your request.

If you are considering taking courses at Ryerson University, you may be eligible for the Ryerson-York co-registration initiative. If so, you must take your Ryerson options through this program rather than through a Letter of Permission.

  • General Information
  • Instructions and Application


  • To be eligible for an LOP you must be pursuing a York degree and/or certificate program. If you are a non-degree student at York, you may apply directly to the host without an LOP.
  • You must be in good academic standing. An LOP will not be issued if you are on academic warning, program warning, debarment warning or academic probation. If your academic status changes after the LOP is issued and you are no longer in good standing or are ineligible to proceed in your program, the LOP will be rescinded and you will no longer be eligible for transfer credit from the host regardless of the grade achieved there.
  • Your LOP will not be processed if there are outstanding debts on your University account.


It is your responsibility to ensure that:

  • Course(s) completed on an LOP meet your program requirements.
  • You do not repeat courses already passed.
  • Should enrolment/registration circumstances change; that is, the course(s) you are requesting on an LOP is(are) not available, you must immediately contact your Faculty in order to request approval for any replacement course(s).
  • An official transcript is forwarded to the Registrar's Office at York University as soon as final grades are available from the host institution.

Incomplete applications for a Letter of Permission (LOP) cannot be processed and will be returned to you.

Important Notes

  • Course Credit Exclusions (CCEs) are courses offered at York and the host that are similar enough in content that both may not be taken for degree credit. A course substitute can replace a specified York course/degree requirement. A course substitute can be a CCE but a CCE is not always a course substitute.
  • Some York programs are subject to external accreditation or professional association requirements (e.g. practica and core courses for engineering, nursing or social work), which restrict approvals for LOPs. Please consult your Faculty/department for details.
  • Credit towards your degree will only be counted once for repeated courses taken at York or elsewhere. Should you repeat a course, the initial grade will be replaced with a notation of “NCR – No Credit Retained”.
  • Generic results of “Pass” or “Credit Achieved” at the host will not be accepted for transfer credit to your York degree. A minimum of 60 per cent or equivalent is required for credit.
  • Transfer credit will be assessed based on the course work/requirements including in-class hours completed at the host institution and not on the course work/requirements of the York course credit exclusion or substitute. Check the ONtransfer database for potential course equivalencies.
  • Courses completed at Canadian universities are normally assessed for credit at the year level offered by the host institution. For example, if you successfully complete a 2000-level course at the host university, credits granted by York will be recognized at the 2000-level, regardless of whether York offers a similar course at a different year level. Year-level equivalencies for courses taken outside of Canada are subject to departmental assessment.
  • Courses and grades achieved at the host are not listed on your York transcript or included in your York grade point average (GPA).

Maximum Credits Allowed

Including courses taken on an LOP, the maximum number of credits in which you may enrol is:

Faculty Number of Credits
Environmental Studies 12 in summer and 36 in fall/winter
School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design (formerly Faculty of Fine Arts) - all departments except Design 15 in summer and 36 in fall/winter
School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design - Design 36 credits in a calendar year
Health 15 in summer and 36 in fall/winter
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies 18 in summer and 36 in fall/winter
Science 15 in summer and 33 in fall/winter
Lassonde 15 in summer and 33 in fall/winter


  1. Complete the Letter of Permission Application form (below) and submit it along with detailed calendar course descriptions from the host institution to the Faculty/department best able to identify any York-based course credit exclusions or substitutes. Incomplete LOP applications will be returned to you. If you need more room/rows for your request, please attach another copy of the form.
  1. Submit the completed form, along with the $50 non-refundable processing fee, to the Registrar’s Office drop-box in the lobby of the Bennett Centre for Student Services. Approved LOPs will be sent to the host university and a copy sent to you for your records.
  2. Processing can take three to four weeks during peak request times.
  3. Once you have been issued the LOP, it should be presented to the host institution’s Admissions Office. The host governs admission and application deadlines for students applying on an LOP.
  4. If you enrol in courses at the host other than those listed on the LOP, you will not receive transfer credit upon completion unless the Registrar’s Office amends your LOP in advance. Obtain departmental approval for these changes, then notify the Registrar’s Office at of any enrolment changes as soon as they are made.
  5. When you have completed the course(s) at the host and grades are available, an official transcript must be forwarded to York's Registrar’s Office immediately (see deadlines below). Address the transcript to:

Registrar’s Office - York University
Bennett Centre for Student Services
4700 Keele St. Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Term in which you completed your course Deadline for transcript submission or proof of withdrawal/non-attendance
Summer November 1
Fall March 1
Winter July 1
  1. If you do not register or complete any of the courses for which you were issued the LOP, you must provide the Registrar’s Office with documentation from the host declaring you either did not enrol/register or that you withdrew from the course(s) without any academic penalty.