- Students must be in good academic standing.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 24 credits towards an undergraduate degree; this includes credits awarded as transfer credit.
- The maximum number of credits that can be taken on a pass/fail basis is six for bachelor degrees (90 credits) and 12 for Honours degrees (120 credits).
- The pass/fail grading option cannot be chosen by a student for the following:
- major or minor courses (including for-credit practica);
- outside-the-major required courses1;
- courses taken to satisfy general eduation or certificate requirements;
- required 1000-level science courses for students in the Faculties of Health and Science & Engineering.
The pass/fail grading option is not applicable to the following:
- graduate degrees or diplomas;
- BEd and BEd (Technological Education) degrees;
- LLB/JD degree;
- BBA and iBBA degrees;
- exchange courses taken at another institution.
1 It is the responsibility of students to be informed of and meet their degree program requirements.
Request (Graded to Ungraded)
The Pass/Fail Option Application (below) must be signed by the course director/instructor within the first two weeks of class for the specific course. The completed form must then be submitted as follows:
|Students in the
||Submit form to
- School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design
(formerly Faculty of Fine Arts)
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Health
- Lassonde School of Engineering
- Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
- Faculty of Science
|Registrarial Services, Bennett Centre for Student Services
- Faculty of Environmental Studies
|Office of Student and Academic Services, 137 HNES
||Office of Student Programs, York Hall, Glendon campus
Please note: Students will be notified in writing of their eligibility or ineligibility.
Request (Ungraded to Graded)
Students who elect to complete a course on an ungraded basis may not revert to taking the course on a graded basis after the last date to drop a course without academic penalty. Fill-out and submit a Change from Pass/Fail to Graded Notification (below).
Calculation of Averages and Credits
Courses taken on an ungraded basis are recorded as either pass "P" or fail "F". They do not have grade point values so they cannot be calculated into an average. Pass credits are added into the total number of credits earned and credits taken. Fail credits are added into the total number of credits failed and credits taken.
Grade Reports and Transcripts
The ungraded option will appear as either “P” or “F” on both grade reports and transcripts.